Monday, May 30, 2011

Day One of 3 marathons in 3 days: The 'Peter Ryall Marathon' (named after my nephew who has autism)

Finishing a marathon!  (Not a medal or goodie bag in sight!)
Okay, I'm actually writing this shortly before I run my second marathon, but I'd still like to give a brief report.  I called this run the Peter Ryall Marathon, as I'd be running to his house three times.

Time? 6 hours and 1 min
Where? Coppull and Standish - 3 laps of an 8.7 mile route

The plan of the route was great.  I had two 'aid stations' set up: my house and my sister's house.  The lap started and ended at my house so I had two opportunities there to pick up drink and supplies.  Halfway through the lap was my sister's house, so I had three opportunities to take on board whatever I needed, leaving my carrying of stuff to a minimum.  To always be running to one or the other was psychologically a real boost.



0-4.7 miles - Feel out the knee, get into a rhythm
I kept thinking, not only do I want to save energy for later on in the run, but I also want to save energy for the following days as well.  So I ran slowly slowly to conserve energy.  To be seeing Carla (my sister) after only 4.7 miles was a real blessing.

4.7 miles - 13.4 miles - Carla carried me all the way
Carla ran with me for a whole lap back to her house which again was a blessing.  We talked and joked and laughed which was just ace.  She's so supportive of my running, it's untrue.  Thank you Carla!  As we got back to her house, the heavens opened which I didn't appreciate!

13.4 miles - 22.1 miles - Time to enjoy the scenery and enjoy the roses
As I was patient with my running the whole day, I felt so chilled and relaxed.  I picked up Honey, my dog, for my last lap as an extra running buddy!

22.1 miles - Finish - Tired and dizzy but not running alone.
At Carla's house, I stopped for 5 mins for half a cup of tea (luxuries!).  My girlfriend joined me to run the last lap, as well as my old friend Matt Moss from college.  Including Honey, there were 4 of us running through Coppull!

If you'd like to sponsor me, go to http://www.justgiving.com/runclimbmather - Thank you for supporting me in making a difference to those who live with autism

No comments:

Post a Comment