Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day Two of 3 marathons in 3 days: The Empire Strikes Back!

At the finish of day two, medal in one hand,
 picture of Peter in another.
That morning I had a ton of time to get ready.  The marathon only started at half past three!  Arrrgggh!  Worry, worry, worry....

As I arrived there, nerves set it.  I'd never ran two marathons back-to-back!  Here I was saying I was going to run three!  I was so nervous and anxious to get going.  I'd had all morning to think about it!

I started the run.  The Liverbird marathon is a course of  4 'out and back' laps of 6.6 miles or thereabouts (it was a marathon I assure you!).

I was fully aware of how anxious I was, so allowed myself to relax.  My knees had been sore overnight and so I used the first few miles to 'feel out' my body.  I listened to Michael McIntyre's Audiobook to calm my nerves!

The Liverbird marathons take place on a gorgeous Merseyside promenade between Brunswick Dock and Otterspool.  I'd ran a marathon there at New Year's
and a half-marathon the day after.  In fact, my very first miles of the year had taken place on that tarmac.  It was fitting that at mile 11 then that I broke through 500 miles in the year.  I'd pictured that moment for months, the 'Proclaimers moment'.  It came and went!

At New Years, I attempted a marathon double.  However, I'd only managed 'a marathon and a half'.  Therefore, I was pleased with my running, when at mile 13, I set off for the third lap, my legs not feeling too bad.  When I got to mile 17, I was heading back to the start of the fourth lap, knowing my girlfriend and my dad would be there to meet me.  It lifted my spirits.

I'd like you to read the next part knowing that I'm trying not to sound twee or cliche.  I'm trying my upmost to write honestly to give an account of what I went through.

The psychology of how you deal with a marathon is huge.  The event was 4 laps of a 6.6 mile course.  I knew  that if I got to three laps run, that I wouldn't quit.  At mile 18, I got a text from my sister that read, 'Peter been unsettled a lot of today - just telling you so that you know well and truly that what you are doing right now is all worthwhile'.

I completely broke down.  I was overcome with emotion.  I thought of Peter and the cards he was dealt with.  He had no choice, no say at all in the autism that he was born with.  I thought of my 'choice' that I had in 2 miles to quit or to finish the run.  What right had I to quit?  What right had I to choose to quit when Peter had no choice at all in the cards that were dealt to him?  I was spurred onto the finish with renewed vigour.

Within a mile, my dad appeared out of nowhere to run back to the start of lap 4.

On the final lap, I was fully entertained by my dad and girlfriend who cheered me on to the end!  I was really blessed!  For the final mile, I was alone.  What a great feeling it was!  When I finished, I didn't allow myself to worry about the next day.  I just to take in the moment and the achievement of a marathon double.  What would happen the following day would happen.  Who was to know what would happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment