Friday, May 27, 2011

78.6 miles - can I do it?

The route for the 'Peter Ryall' marathon on Sunday
When I started this challenge at the beginning of the year, it was a huge jump in running mileage for me.  I'd need to average 100 miles a month.  To put that in context, last year I ran 100 miles in November and December combined.  At the time, that was a big achievement for me.

Now, I stand on the brink of trying to run 3 marathons in 3 days.  The big question in my mind is 'Can I do it?'  Maybe the bigger question that I should be asking myself is 'Why am I doing it?'  A big reason why I'm doing it has been to focus on something over the last two months, something to aim for.  It has been a reason to channel my running before the start of the preparations for Stok Kangri and the Summer ahead.


Last Sunday, I spoke at church about my challenges this year and the reasons for doing them.  I'm fundraising for the National Autistic Society because I want to give something back, to 'run for Peter' (Peter's my nephew who has autism).  I have a real sense of doing this for Peter because he didn't have a choice in the cards that were dealt for him.  He has autism and will always have to live with it.  I, on the other hand, have a healthy set of heart and lungs, and two legs.  So I can run.  I can run to try to make a difference for those who live with autism.  In reality, just like my slogan says: 'Because every day's a marathon for somebody who lives with autism', what I'll go through is only small compared to the challenges that those who live with autism will have to go through.

'Pain is temporary.  Pride is forever.'

Over the last four weeks, running has been cut down to a minimum.  My right knee has been struggling, and really haven't run much at all.  On Saturday I went for a run to test it out.  I honestly thought at the beginning 'I'll do a four miler and take it from there.'  I ended up running and running and running until I'd ran a marathon!

Wish me luck for next week, and if you've got a spare couple of quid, please donate to www.justgiving.com/runclimbmather.

No comments:

Post a Comment