Saturday, April 23, 2011

Inspired by my sister

My sister, Carla.  My inspiration for the week's running!
I've had a cracking week of running.  I've absolutely loved it!

To be honest, I was on my second week of my Easter holidays and hadn't got much planned.  In addition, I've got a marathon double to train for at the end of May.  Therefore, I decided to really push myself and spend most of the week running!  The goal was to run three days of 18/20 mile runs.



On Monday, I bought a much-needed pair of trainers as my old ones had really worn out.  I got home, then ran out for a 'breaking in my new trainers' type of run for 10 miles.  

On Tuesday morning, the alarm went off at 5:30am to head out the door for 6am.  I headed out, a little jaded, to see the sunrise over Winter Hill which was an inspirational sight.  There really was a feel of a 'going walkabout' feel to the run and ended up running 17 miles, changing my route and making it up as I went along.  I could have run for longer but really needed to visit the little boys' room!  That night, it really hit me and I was asleep for 9pm!  My plan was still to go out and run a long one the next day.

I woke up Wednesday morning with a feeling of 'Ok, let's do this!'  I love that feeling.  The goal was to run 18 miles, preferably 20 miles.

There's a good 6.2 mile loop where I live.  I planned three laps, plus a bit more somewhere to make it up to 20 miles ish.  I strategically positioned bottles of isotonic behind my front garden wall and picked them up at the end of the first and second laps.  What surprised me by this run was how my legs were adapting to the running.  I'd run a 17-miler the day before but my legs were still ok!  I guess your legs really do adapt to constant training.

What was brilliant was having to stop at the co-op in Standish for more lucozade after 19 miles ran.  I must have looked a sight!  I finished home after a 21 mile run with an ace feeling.  My time wasn't too bad averaging 12:21 a mile.  An ice cold bath really helped to help the legs recover.  I felt that I was well prepared for the marathon double at the end of May.

Wednesday night was a downer.  On a night out in Liverpool, I'd obviously done so well that a couple of lads decided to smash my van window to congratulate me!  Thanks guys but I'd have preferred a pat on the back.

Thursday was spent waiting for Autoglass to fix my van window but at 3pm I was ready to go running again.  I did the same thing as the previous day, leaving bottles of lucozade behind my garden wall to pick up at the end of 6.2 mile laps.  Starting so late in the day wasn't ideal and it was a hot day as well at 22/23 degrees celsius.

The goal was to run another 20-miler.

After 6 miles, I felt great!  After 14 miles, not so great.  I kept plodding on and plodding on.  I stopped at another co-op in Coppull for a bottle of lucozade and bag of haribo with 3 miles to go.  I devoured 125 grams of haribo in about 10 seconds!

With less than 2 miles to go, I knew I was going to make it.  So, I decided to finish in the classiest way I knew how.  I stopped off at the chippy with half a mile to go and got a bag of chips for tea.  I ran the last half a mile, feeling great but probably looking like a dog's dinner, with a chippy bag in one hand.  Now that's class.

I now feel well prepared for my marathons at the end of May but the challenge is still on!  If you would like to sponsor me, you can by going to www.justgiving.com/runclimbmather.

No comments:

Post a Comment