Saturday, April 9, 2011

Coniston 14+ 9th April 2011


"Never settle for the dream you think you can reach. Settle on the dream you want.” - anon


'Keep on running' Spencer Davis Group


'I just felt like running' Forest Gump


I really enjoyed this run today, finishing in 3 hours and 4 minutes.



Nerves set in at the start of the race, as I was late getting to the start line.  I'd grabbed 4 gels from the stand to give me a good start.



It was a crazy start as there were so many people squeezed into a tight space.  The first few miles were undulating but I took my time and settled into a steady groove.  The views of the Old Man were fantastic so I couldn't help to stop and take in a few views at the beginning.  Sometimes I think it pays to smell the roses!


One of the hardest things was working out where I could cross over to the other side of the lake.  Miles ticked by, and I found myself getting to 11 miles run and still feeling strong.  After running an ultra already this year and running a race in a gorilla suit, I didn't feel content to just plod on at the end of the race.  Therefore, I really pushed it in those remaining miles.  My 4 fastest miles of the race were all in the last 5 miles.  I also achieved a negative split which is where the second half of the race is actually faster than the first half.  That's the first time I've ever been able to do that!


And finally (and this is so cool), the fastest mile of the race was my very last mile, in 10:01.


There hasn't been any sponsors today which is a shame.  However, it has been great how many followers I've been getting on twitter.  Lots of them are followers whose lives are affected by autism in many ways which is special.

www.justgiving.com/runclimbmather

No comments:

Post a Comment